I have a problem with negativity. Not in my life, but in my mind. I’ve been this way for as long as I can remember. Fortunately, these posts forcing me to acknowledge my accomplishments and give myself goals to be more mindful help me to exorcise a little bit of that pessimism. So thank you for being a reader and for any comment-love you’ve given. Know that I appreciate you.
So here is what my 2017 looked like and what I hope for 2018.
- I read 47 books of my goal of 30 (next post tallies my 2017 favorite reads), plus a TON of fanfic. Like, you have no idea. In retrospect, I might need a support group.
- I submitted short stories 6 times and poetry 5 times, and I got 2 encouraging rejections back on one of my poems!
- I finished my LGTBQ urban fantasy, The Space Between You and Me.
- Finished a 2nd draft of TSBY&M (I missed it, okay?!)
- Between November 1st and December 31st I returned to my gothic WIP, Wrathmoor, that I had begun back in 2013 and stalled out on, and I wrote 8 chapters, totaling 52,780 new words written for the year (while listening to The Village soundtrack approximately 48 times).
- I set up one bookshelf in my office, after a year and a half of living at my new place! And it’s pretty damn fine, just sayin’
- I revamped and resurrected my Instagram to focus on one of my favorite things in the world: books!
- Attended a Maggie Stiefvater signing that was just *kisses fingers*
- I went on a writing retreat with my bestie
- Alongside my husband, successfully grew two babies into mini-humans who talk, sing, throw tantrums, and celebrate the general chaos of life in high Dionysian fashion
My goals for 2018:
- Read 40 books. Follow me on Goodreads to see how I’m doing
- Finish my office (maybe get on Annie Neugebauer’s The Decorative Writer, cause I’m a goal-oriented nerd like that)
- Publish a poem, short story, or article. If I achieve this in 2018, I am allowing myself to buy a domain for my website, so simple domain name and no more ads! (Apologies for any assault upon your person those ads may have wrought)
- Finish 3rd draft of The Space Between You and Me, polish a blurb and synopsis, and begin the submission process
- Finish 1st draft of Wrathmoor
- Brainstorm for what will be my 8th novel, The Rosen Tales; and Other Points of Contention, a contemporary/literary mystery with sparks of fantasy shot through. Comparable titles are Byatt’s Possession and The Madwoman Upstairs. Though this idea is probably entirely out of my depth, I am really looking forward to it.
Some less specific goals:
- Write at least once a week.
- Reflect often on the positive things in my life
- Embrace, appreciate, and love my life, because it’s mine and no one else’s. This goes hand-in-hand with not comparing myself or my work or my life to others’. Everyone’s got their own things, and yeah, it’s cool I can kill cacti (yeah, multiple) with almost no effort at all and play the opening of Malaguñea on guitar and nothing else. I’m gonna own it.
- Take adventures. I often idly wish I could travel, but I’ve decided I am going to be a bit more spontaneous about this desire and just get out there and do stuff. Our little town has quite a few places for good close-to-home adventure. I’ll be sure to post pics or my super eloquent philosophications on them (Not).
So there are my goals for this big and wonderful year. I hope you are feeling refreshed by the new start as well. What are your resolutions, goals, or intentions for 2018? Inspire me in the comments.